The RoNIX platform consists of a network of Internet eXchange nodes (IX) serving the community of Internet Service Providers in Romania and neighboring countries (Moldova, Bulgaria). RoNIX was rolled-out in successive phases by installing nodes (switching centers) in several locations.
The RoNIX project is one of the main objectives of ANISP and ensures the routing of inter-network traffic on a transparent basis, according to procedures established within the community.
Using a local Internet eXchange eliminates the need to send local traffic through expensive and less secure international connections and facilitates the development of applications and services hosted in Romania.
The first RoNIX node was installed on September 7, 2001 in a room provided by SN Radiocomunicatii in the “Phone Palace” (Calea Victoriei, Bucharest), using the hardware and software technology provided by CISCO Romania and by Compaq Romania. The second RoNIX node was installed on May 10, 2005 at iNES Group location.
RoNIX has successively connected the main Romanian ISPs.
In 2003, RoNIX was the 25th member to join Euro-IX – the European Internet Exchange organization.
On September 3rd, 2004, an equipment hosting a copy of the “i.root-servers” domain name “root server”, the first top-level DNS server outside the american space, was configured and became operational. From now on, RoNIX members had access to the “i.root-servers” site. This provides faster access to the DNS service (and to all Internet based services that use domain names, respectively).
The connections between RoNIX nodes have undergone successive upgrades; currently the main nodes are connected by 100 Gbps links.
RoNIX members can use (multiples of) 1, 10 or 100 Gbps ports.
Besides local service providers, RoNIX also connects the main global content providers.
Advantages of IP traffic over RoNIX for end-users (ISPs’ customers):
- higher bandwidth (higher “speed” – expressed in Mbps) when accessing the Internet;
- smaller and stabler round-trip time (fast ping / low jitter) to the interconnected networks (crucial parameters in real-time applications: IP telephony, video calls, teleconferences, remote desktop applications, gaming etc.);
- low costs;
- greater service availability (due to connections redundancy).
Advantages of IP traffic over RoNIX – for Internet Service Providers:
- higher bandwidth remaining available through the upstream international connections;
- high bandwidth (up to 100 Gbps) for local traffic through RoNIX;
- low bandwidth costs;
- low maintenance costs (an one-to-many peering is simple to install and manage compared to a multitude of one-to-one peerings);
- round trip time much smaller and stabler (low jitter);
- higher service availability (due to connections redundancy);
- increased security (minimum number of vulnerabilities if the interconnection path is the shortest);
- solid position in the competitive market.
MAIN POINTS OF PRESENCE:
PoP RoNIX Ines (in Ines Data-Center)
Virgil Madgearu 2-6, Sector 1 Bucharest, Romania
PoP RoNIX Euroweb (in NxData)
Dimitrie Pompei Blvd. 8, FEPER, et. 3, Sector 2 Bucharest, Romania
PoP RoNIX GTS (in Electromagnetica Data-Center)
Calea Rahovei 266-268, „Electromagnetica”, Sector 5 Bucharest, Romania
PoP RoNIX Teletrans (in DEN building)
Hristo Botev Blvd 16-18, Sector 3 Bucharest, Romania
PoP RoNIX M247
Fabrica de Glucoza 11B, etaj 1, sector 2 Bucharest, Romania
PoP RoNIX Cluj Starnet Media
Iuliu Maniu 23, Cluj-Napoca, jud. Cluj, Romania.
PoP RoNIX Frankfurt Equinix
Kleyerstrasse 90, FRA5, Frankfurt, Germany
* RoNIX is the largest IX in Romania, in terms of coverage (number of Romanian end-users in the RoNIX members networks). In terms of traffic, an IX can go up and down very quickly by allowing/disallowing traffic from major world-wide players (video streaming platforms / social media etc).